Tuesday, November 15, 2005

"Big 'i' or little 'i'?"

Last night, Metro and I were having a discussion about what may/might/could happen after death ("Good grief! Why?!?" I hear you ask. As always, it was prompted by one of those "What would you do if you knew you only had X amount of time to live?" questions asked of both of us in the last couple of days...)

This of course led to a discussion of what annoys me about Atheism/Skepticism -- not that atheists don't believe in a god (I'm with them on that), but that they so strongly don't believe. Ain't that a belief? (Oh, I'm simplifying this for the sake of the blog, not to mention the fun of being contentious...I'm sure I'll catch some flack for it.)

Personally, I'm agnostic (yes, I know it means that I'm unable to make a decision!). I believe that there are forces/energies in the universe we don't understand, and probably never will, but I do not believe that there is any personality/intelligent design involved.

Do not get 'intelligent design' confused with "Intelligent Design" (Gads, don't get me started. Just suffice to say I'm glad I don't live in the States, and if you want intelligent contradiction, visit Pharyngula, a great blogging scientist that enjoys ripping silly arguments to shreds.)

Which brings me to a page -- making fun of the very real (and scary) (and as of May this year, unconstitutional) practice in Alabama of putting evolution 'disclaimers' in textbooks.

Lori

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I need to clarify here: She asked me "If you could know exactly when and where you were going to die, would you want to?"

I said "No, I don't think so."

She said "Okay, forget it then."

Metro