Thursday, November 09, 2006

Why I hate TV

I've spent the last 5 or 6 years not watching TV. Not really out of spite, no socio-political reasons...just simply personal reasons.
  • Money. Why spend money on cable when I could buy books?
  • Commercials. I have a love-hate relationship with commercials. Once, they're adorable mini-movies. Ad nauseum, they're, well, just awful.
  • Time. I found that if I sat down to watch a 30-minute show, I'd sit down early, 'cause I didn't want to miss anything...and for some reason just keep watching. (I don't have an addictive personality. Really. Maybe only with moving images...)
  • Family. I have a family that doesn't turn the TV off when I go visit. As a teen, my sister used to come home from school, turn on the TV, go down the street and have tea with a neighbour for 2 hours, come home and yell "Hey, who turned off the TV? I was watching it!" (I wish I were exaggerating. She's better now. Some.)
  • Control. I want to watch what I want to watch when I want to watch it. Not Tuesdays at 9. Yes, I could use a VCR...but then I still have to remember to program it, and find time to watch it. Maybe Tivo is for me -- but then we're back to the money issue. So, I collect and watch movies.
Don't get me wrong. I've had my TV obsessions. I went through a period where I could not get enough of The Nanny reruns -- the Paddington Bear of TV. (No one really noticed that she was a lunatic, just like no one noticed that Paddington was a bear in a coat carrying a suitcase full of marmalade sandwiches.) And don't get me started on Babylon 5 -- the one and only show I taped religiously every night (Space showed all of Seasons 1-4 in sequence), and watched after work. [Recently replaced all of those worn out tapes with the DVDs...heaven. Come over sometime, and we'll have a marathon!]

Now, after the 5 or 6 years of no cable, we're here, and we have cable (only Basic, mind you -- but that's another issue!)...and I've been exposed to CSI.

Just an aside: Why on Earth would anyone want to go to Las Vegas? Aren't they worried about the Jessica Fletcher Effect?

Anyway -- I really like the characters, the stories...the show. So now I'm trapped. Thursday night, 9 p.m. comes along, and I am there watching my show.

"My show." Gads. Listen to me.

And tonight reminded me about why I hate TV...it was one of those shows that picked up the story lines from a couple previous ones, and left you with tasty (only to the studio execs that want people hooked!) mini-cliffhangers -- leaving me worried that I might miss the episode next week. I'm trapped. Hooked. Lost.

But at least it's only one show.

Lori

6 comments:

Metro said...

That "one show" starts at eight and ends at ten. It's called "Grey's CSI" as far as I can tell. The first half is about lust between massively overworked interns at a hospital. The second half's usually about massively over-equipped cops, who handle more dead bodies than the medical students.

Bloody dramas. Give me a guy who swans about the universe in a phone box saving the world any day.

Metro said...

And if I'd known about your thing with "The Nanny" I'd still be single--Jude Law in reverse.

Anonymous said...

I don't watch dramas -- too much of a time commitment. Real life is dramatic enough. And reality shows are all about schadenfreude. But don't get between me and my HGTV!

Anonymous said...

You're catching on too late to watch the original: Da Vinci's Inquest, the best show that tv has ever seen. And a big time-saver, as there was only ever one of them.

Isn't there a cable channel that's all CSI and Law and Order? There should be.

Lori said...

I like Law & Order...reminds me of watching TV with my Dad. And yes, DaVinci's Inquest -- fabulous show. Could never find/watch it consistently, though.

And Metro, love. The Grey's Anatomy thing is the warm-up...note the point about Time above -- I would not watch it if I were not worried about missing a moment of CSI.

Gads.

lifeflaw said...

I don't watch TV either; but the reason is that I am too addicted to PC! :P