If you're female and...There's more to be thankful for, at her post.
...you can vote, thank a feminist.
...you can get or give birth control information without going to jail, thank a feminist
...your doctor, lawyer, pastor judge or legislator is a woman, thank a feminist.
...you own property that is solely yours, thank a feminist.
Today is also a day to think about what's still wanting:
- women are still subjected to violence and injustice in many parts of the world
- women are not included in the decision-making processes of their countries (or in their homes)
- women around the world often don't have the right to work, or if they do work, they are paid very little
- girl children are more likely to not be in school than boy children
- are often hired on their looks alone ("You can see they don't hire over the phone here!" is a line I hear from Metro a lot...).
- get paid less than their male counterparts.
- do the majority of the volunteer work (that governments at all levels have come to lean on for so many social services, but that's a different post). A man is more likely to expect to be paid for their skills than a woman.
- are subject to eating disorders arising from societal expectations of how they look -- but then to be fair, so are young men. We've regressed utterly in this.
- are raped at a disgusting rate